In recognition of the service to the nation, veterans may be entitled to receive certain benefits sponsored by the Veterans Administration (VA), a department of the United States government. During their time of service, some veterans may, unfortunately, sustain injuries or incur illnesses that preclude them from working or which make daily living a much more significant challenge.
For such circumstances, there is a benefit known as veterans disability.
However, veterans disability is subjected to specific regulations and is determined by a system referred to like the veterans disability calculator.
The following brief piece will explain how the government decides how much disability compensation a veteran is entitled to receive, as well as the specific factors that might also play into the decision.
Calculating Veterans Disability Payments
Veterans with discernible disabilities receive monthly payments based on the severity of the injuries or illnesses they have sustained. The specific amount a veteran will receive is, first and foremost, dictated by the disability rating percentage the government assigns to said, individual.
Various injuries or illnesses or designated a specific disability percentage. The rating percentages range from zero to 100 percent. Zero would indicate no disability, while 100 percent would describe total disability.
Many veterans who make disability claims fall somewhere in between.
Single Disability Rating Percentages
If a veteran claims to and is proven to possess only one disability, the rating percentage of said issue is subtracted from 100 to determine the service person’s total compensation.
For example, if a veteran has a problem designated with a 30 percent disability rating, said individual would be entitled to 30 percent compensation. Using VA terminology, the vet would be classified as possessing 30 percent disability and 70 percent efficiency.
For veterans with multiple discernible disabilities, the VA utilizes a system that is a bit more complex. For instance, a veteran might claim to possess two limitations. One has a 20 percent rating, and the other is designated at 10 percent. The VA does not add the two percentages together to reach a 30 percent conclusion.
Instead, the government agency calculates such circumstances in the following manner: the disability with the higher percentage is first deducted from 100 percent. Using the above example, 20 percent from 100 equals 80 percent.
However, using the VA’s calculation system, the second percentage is determined by taking 10 percent of 80 percent, which equals eight. The disability percentages (in this case 20 and eight) are added together.
Ergo, the veteran would be labeled 72 percent efficient and be entitled to recover established compensation for 28 percent disability. Three or more limitations are calculated using the above system.
Additional Factors Considered
A veteran might receive additional compensation if they meet specific other criteria such as having dependent children or other family members, their disability pertains to a limb (arm or leg) or if their spouse possesses a severe illness or disability. Additionally, the VA also periodically approves increases based upon Cost Of Living Allowances (COLA).
It is important to note that veterans must complete the VA disability rating calculator process before receiving disability compensation. Therefore, said individuals are advised to undergo a thorough examination from a physician and have all disabilities documented.
Furthermore, veterans, especially those with multiple disabilities might wish to consider consulting with a Veterans Law attorney.