David draws upon more than two decades of representing the insurance industry to advise and counsel carriers on insurance coverage disputes and bad faith claims throughout North Carolina and the southeastern U.S., particularly matters involving environmental claims, construction defect claims, wrongful incarceration coverage, property coverage, and directors and officers liability. David also has extensive experience defending product liability and intellectual property claims.
In the area of insurance allocation litigation, David has substantial experience representing insurers in matters arising from disputes over of how/when policies are triggered and how losses will be allocated among insurance policies. He applies his considerable knowledge of allocation litigation when representing clients on matters arising out of latent defect claims and cases involving wrongful incarceration litigation. Specifically, he has played a significant role in representing insurers on the evolving issue of coverage matters deriving from DNA tests that result in wrongful conviction and imprisonment.
In his property coverage practice, David has represented clients in high-exposure matters related to fire, theft, and motor carrier cargo claims. He also has extensive experience representing insurers in coverage issues arising out of catastrophic events.
He has tried complex coverage and liability matters to verdict in multiple jurisdictions in cases involving construction defect claims and product liability disputes. His trial experience extends to significant property subrogation matters as well as insurance agency/broker disputes. He has also achieved victories for insurers in cases involving questions of first impression in state and federal courts throughout the Southeast at both the trial court level and on appeal.
David is also a certified mediator and maintains an active mediation practice, particularly in insurance coverage and construction defect related claims. He has authored numerous articles for insurance industry publications, particularly on issues related to CGL coverage issues, bad faith and civil trial practice. He also regularly speaks on these issues to industry and legal groups.
- Construction Defect
- Extracontractual/Bad Faith
- Intellectual Property
- Arson/Insurance Fraud
- Property Coverage
- Professional Risk
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., 1992
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro, B.A., 1988, summa cum laude
Bar Memberships & Court Admissions
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court, Western District of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Federal Bar Association
- Greensboro Bar Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- North Carolina State Bar
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- Defense Research Institute
- Insurance Law Committee
- Law Practice Management Committee
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Insurance & Reinsurance Committee
- Best Lawyers in America – "Insurance Law," 2008-2012
- Best Lawyers in America – "Top Insurance Lawyer in Greensboro, N.C.," 2012
- North Carolina Super Lawyers – "Insurance Law," 2008-2012
- Business North Carolina – "Legal Elite in Litigation," 2006
- Martindale-Hubbell – "Top Rated - AV® Preeminent™ Lawyer"
Charitable & Civic Involvement
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro Excellence Foundation
- Greensboro Day School
- Board of Trustees Finance Committee